Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Sloths Can Hurt You



Laughter is supposed to be the best medicine. Unless, it rips out your sutures, in which case, it's really, really bad medicine. I wanted to post this because I think it's funny. Some friends have told me that I'm really "brave" for posting all this stuff. I told them that whatever that etherial thing is inside you – that thing that makes you worry about how you look, it's gone. Then I realized – that thing is called dignity. Oh well. I guess I won't be needing that anymore.

So, as you know, my face is really still quite numb and I cannot move my lips well yet. I still drool a lot and say things like, "Haffy Virthday!" I was watching Ellen DeGeneres the other day, when Kristen Bell (or Vell as I would say) was talking about her love of sloths. It was really, very funny. But after the story, Ellen played a practical joke on her telling her one was backstage (which almost made Kristen cry) and it made me laugh. I mean, it really made me laugh. My face freaked out. I smiled so hard that, well, it hurt! I thought my cheeks were going to EXPLODE, but I kept laughing and also starting crying simultaneously (not sure if it was from joy or the pain). Luckily, I had enough sense to quickly grab my computer and take this incredibly flattering shot:

Oh, Ellen, you kill me. Literally. Well, it was nice to have my face wake up. Who knew that smile was in there? (Maybe I should put it back wherever it was.) Thanks, Ellen.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Tom,
    I experienced the same thing after my surgery! Laughing too hard or smiling to big would actually hurt! ouch! I would be at school and see my resident and he would actually tell me to stop smiling and talking because I was talking/smiling too much and he didn't want me to mess things up LOL(or not). Also I think it made him feel bad that I would grimace after laughing at something.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete