Thursday, July 19, 2012

Day 1

The ICU was like a hospital room in Star Trek. It was private. My bed faced a wall of glass which could completely retract. It was quiet and I shared a nurse with only one other patient. It was wonderful.

They woke me up a lot for meds, but I got some sleep. At 6 something, all the oral maxillofacial doctors come in at once to look at you. Its like a flash mob in your room. Dr. Smart is the Tom Cruise of the surgical team. He's confident, handsome, and 4'11. Actually, quick side note. All of the doctors were very good looking. My friends were even like, "Um, what's up with that?" I found it somewhat comforting, because I thought, "Well they won't make me uglier, right?" One recurrent nightmare I expect is Dr. Smart coming at me with two tongue depressors. He would force my cheeks open so everyone could see. Got it, guy in the back? No? Let me try harder. One (secretly) enjoyable part was when the doctor said, "Where were you before" and I said, "PACU." But because I cannot say m, p, or b yet, it sounded exactly like I said, "Fuck you." But they got it (and the joke too).

Here's my day 1 mug:

All the doctors kept saying, "Wow, you look fantastic." (which made me laugh every time.) I kept saying things like, "It's the lighting." But apparently I came through well, with much less swelling than most people (I never got black eyes or smooshy Renee Zellweger eyes).

Later that day, they removed my foley. If you don't know what that is, do me a favor, DO NOT Google it. Move on, dear reader. Move on. I will tell you that whatever it is, it's removal resembles the rapid pulling of a line to raise sails during a regatta.

They had me try to take some meds/food by mouth instead of just through IV. A small sip of water took about 7-10 swallows. It just pooled in the sides of my mouth. Actually, the first attempts just shot out all over me. If you can't close your lips, you just squirt. I got a hand mirror and clear cups (so I could see) and drank lying down which helped get stuff to the right spot. But I drank very little. The doctors were very pleased with the amounts though.

They also wanted me to try to get up and sit in a chair or walk around. I could not. I was extremely dizzy and nauseous. The pressure on my left ear was pretty significant. It was ringing and tight. I was way too dizzy to sit up.

Later in the day I got moved from ICU to coach class.


  1. I love your sense of humor! Hopefully you are feeling as well as can be! Can't wait to read about the rest of your recovery. What did they end up doing about the hyoid?

  2. So I asked about the hyoid and they decided they could get enough opening of my airway without it. What a relief. Knowing what I know now, I'm glad to not have any other procedures (except maybe lipo). Seriously, how hard would a slurp or two have been? I think all medical procedures should come with an optional cosmetic procedure. (Like how you can choose your free "boost" when you get a Jamba Juice.) Just an idea.

  3. Congrats on making it through your surgery! Glad to see you still have your sense of humour even in the post-surgery blues! Good luck with your recovery, you seem to be coping well